Parents as Teachers
Being a parent is hard work!
In the first few years, children learn more and at a faster pace than at any other time in life. You help shape your child’s future through the kinds of experiences you provide. Your baby was born to learn, and as a parent you are your child’s first teacher.
PACT Parents as Teachers First Teacher Home Visiting program completed the Parents as Teachers Quality Endorsement and Improvement Process and earned the highest designation: Blue Ribbon Affiliate status. Being named a Blue Ribbon Affiliate affirms that our First Teacher Program is among the highest quality members of the home visitation and parent education field, implementing the evidence-based Parents as Teachers model with fidelity and quality.
What is Parents as Teachers?
Parents as Teachers is offered to ALL families in Morgan County with children prenatal to five years old. The program is designed for caregivers to participate in learning about how their baby is developing and how they can best support that growth. There are no income eligibility guidelines. As a PAT family, you receive:
- Personal Visits - Personal visits support parents in their parenting role in order to promote optimal child development and positive parent-child interaction. Personal visits with Certified Parent Educators are scheduled and are about an hour in length.
- Group Connections - Group connections provide opportunities for parents to acquire information about child development, parenting and positive parent-child interaction, while gaining support from each other.
- Screenings - Screenings provide regular information about each child's health and developmental progress, increases parents' understanding of their child's development, and identifies strengths and abilities, as well as areas of concern. PACT Parents as Teachers offers annual screenings to children enrolled in our program.
- Resource Network - The program connects families to needed resources and takes an active role in the community, establishing ongoing relationships with other organizations that serve families.
Benefits of participating in the Parents as Teacher program:
- Increases parent knowledge of early childhood development while improving parenting practices.
- Provides early detection of developmental delays and health issues.
- Prevents child abuse and neglect.
- Increases children’s school readiness and success.
You and your baby deserve the support Parents as Teachers offers. Give your child the best start in life because your baby was born to learn!
If you are interested in joining or referring someone to the Parents as Teachers program, please fill out the online form and a parent educator will contact you.